- Avoid walking in the port area or marginal areas of the city, especially at night or alone.
- Take a taxi instead of waiting for the bus or walking alone at night.
- Avoid carrying important documents, credit cards or large amounts of cash.
- Make two photocopies of your passport. Keep one with you and deposit the other one in a safe place. Register with your country’s consulate on arrival.
- Avoid flaunting valuable items, especially when visiting street markets, public events or using public transportation. If you carry backpacks or bags, keep them in sight. Expensive cell phones, laptops or cameras may be a tempting target for thieves.
- Deposit valuable items or important documents in a safe.
- When travelling in the city, plan your route beforehand and be aware of all options for transportation.
- Be aware of the people that surround you.
- Never open the door to strangers.
In case of having any security issues, it is advisable to inform the police authorities immediately. It is also a good idea to remember the phone number for emergency situations, 911, which may be called from any phone no charge. It is also recommendable to memorize the location of the closest police station in your neighborhood.
Police recommendations regarding safety (in Spanish)